Wednesday, March 25, 2009

cute dish



I love Fishs Eddy!

They have this series of dishes decorated with floorplans that totally reminds me of the game Clue. I feel like I'd be eating some mac and cheese and start to get to the bottom and see the outlines of rooms coated in greasy orange and think, "Professor Plum, conservatory, lead pipe." There's something very mysterious, I think, about a floor plan -- it gives so much information about a space and yet very little idea of what it might be like to inhabit it.

Then, they have this whole other collection based on the New York City skyline, with famous buildings identified. I think it's really charming to see all the city's grandeur and lights and soot and people reduced to this two-dimensional, black-and-white surface -- New York suddenly seems clean and elegant. Again, so much information about the city, but completely reinterpreted.

No comments:

Post a Comment