Monday, October 26, 2009

moving, a kitten and other things

It's been a crazy week. My life suddenly feels very different in one big burst and I don't know that I've entirely caught up. It's exciting, but also kind of jarring. Even when things are new for the better, they are still new, and that takes a bit of adjustment. I'll get there.


The apartment is fantastic so far. Loving the big windows, taupe walls with white detailing of vintage-y flowers and ladies waggling ribbons. Love the big kitchen and miiiiiles of closets where I can see all my clothing at once (somewhat of a scary proposition -- I think I am in desperate need of a clean out). Though the new neighborhood is somewhat sketchy (the Tenderloin), D. and I have been loving all the cheap, fantastic food. It is unreal how good one can eat around here at a reasonable price. Plus, the gas in our stove is not hooked up yet, so we have an excuse to pad our bellies with Vietnamese sandwiches from various shops within a few blocks' walk (unreal!). The gas is being installed tomorrow, though, so we will soon be excuse-less and haven't even made a dent in local grub. I'm sure we'll come up with a series of new excuses shortly.


Something else to gush about: Marlo, our new kitten. We decided now that we will likely be settled down for awhile in a place with cat-friendly windowsills and enough floor space to accommodate vigorous chases and play fights, it's time to get Mivi a best friend. Mivi, however, was not pleased with this arrangement. Over the past several days, she has relented some, with less vigorous hissing and increasingly half-hearted neck biting. Yesterday, they were both sleeping and we pushed them together for a photo op. It was terribly cute to watch their bellies rise and fall together, Mivi's whiskers twitching in a vigorous dream. Then she woke up and noticed there was an intruder on her midsection and was not amused. Anyway, we're taking baby steps.


Another exciting thing: D. and I painted a mirror. I really like decorating with mirrors and so this one was sort of a test run for a series I hope to do. We found it at a Goodwill store with a rather large chip and a price of $3.49 (arbitrarily decided by the woman at the register who told us that she wanted to give us a good price even though she was sure it was worth a lot more -- won't argue with that!). We sanded down the wood (which was painted in a shiny gold tone), filled in the hole with putty, and gave it two coats of high-gloss green spray paint. I love, love, love how it came out, and it was only about $10 total. Not bad.


That's all for now. Much more to write and much more to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment