Sunday, October 4, 2009

cooking ideas: sad mouth pudding

"Sandwiches?! Why would anyone need -- OUCH!"

D. is flipping through a cookbook, on the verge of asking a question about sandwiches that will never be answered. His head is in his hands and he's gasping in pain.

He has an abscess; his tooth is filled with pus. I know this because I spoke to his dentist on the phone about it (at almost 11 pm on a Saturday night -- nice service, doc!). When the dentist informed me that D. was in such intense pain due to the aforementioned pus putting pressure on his tooth, I acted on instinct, replying, "Eew, that's gross." The dentist paused before continuing to advise me on how to treat his patient (my patient). I felt a smidgen of judgment in his pause, but come on, that *is* pretty gross. There are places that pus is acceptable (just barely), and there are places it should never be. Your mouth is one of those places.

So, D.'s sentences have been punctuated with pain, spite and confusion these past couple of days (the confusion being a side effect of Vicodin, apparently). He is also drowsy and not able to chew effectively.

I'd like to note here that it feels like autumn today, maybe for the first time this year. I think I'd forgotten about California's fall; it's so calm as it creeps in (unlike in New York or Japan where it crashes upon you with rain showers and evenings that get dark absurdly early). The combo of the changing seasons and D.'s near inability to chew means that it has made a lot of sense to spend the weekend preparing and eating stew.

But that's another post.

After consuming stew, D. still appeared forlorn. He clutched his mouth and moaned. I wanted to make something delicious for him.

And I am happy to report, using just three ingredients, I succeeded!


Sad Mouth Pudding

one banana
one individual pack of Kozy Shack Tapioca pudding
two shakes of cinnamon




Mash the banana. Add Kozy Shack and sprinkle on cinnamon in two healthy shakes. Mix thoroughly. Will make a sad mouth slightly happier, if only temporarily.

D.'s root canal is scheduled for Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment