Tuesday, September 29, 2009

cooking ideas: sesame green beans

This one is super easy to make and whenever I eat it, I think, "Wow, I should be eating this more often!" And then I proceed to forget all about it until the next time I suddenly have an impromptu green bean flash (which usually happens in Chinatown when I spot a bag of beans for an absurdly low price).

I don't know the technical term for this dish, but I know it's popular in Japan and pops up in bentos all the time. It's also very easy to make, although I can't be completely sure I'm making it correctly. Although, I guess "correct" doesn't really matter in cooking as long as it tastes good.


Sesame Green Beans

Green beans
Sesame seeds
Mirin
Soy sauce
Sugar

1. Snap the ends off the beans and put them in some boiling water for about 5 minutes.

2. Saute some sesame seeds in hot oil until they are brown. If you have a mortar and pestle, smash them. If you do not, bash them uselessly with a spoon until they seem mashed or you lose patience.

3. Mix the mashed seeds with equal parts mirin, soy sauce and sugar (altered as you wish, to taste, usually with a bit more soy sauce). Add the green beans and mix thoroughly.

4. After they cool down enough, put them in the refrigerator. If you can resist, wait a day before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment