Sunday, September 13, 2009

birthday weekend gluttony



I baked a cake for D's birthday using this recipe. I frosted it with store-bought frosting (chocolate) and layered it with slices of strawberry. However, it came out lumpy! Not totally sure why, but I think it has to do with my lack of an electric mixer (which was also the reason for buying, not making, the frosting). We've been slowly working away at it despite the lumps, though at two layers and probably about 7 pounds, it's not a task for the faint of heart (or those who cower at lumps). Wish I could send some to my Mom, whose birthday was today!

Cake is not our only indulgence, not by far! We ate Dim Sum yesterday at Gold Mountain (the best place we've found for it here, though it doesn't hold a candle to Jade Asian in Flushing... sigh...). And for dinner? Crab! I bought two crabs from a stand at Fisherman's Wharf and we proceeded to terrorize their lifeless limbs with gusto that would have been inappropriate in public (hence, the decision to eat at home).

And... just now I had another little indulgence, pictured below.



These are peaches soaked in a fruity, sweet white wine, an inspiration from Orangette.

One word: Wow.

Another two words: Make this.

I want to eat and drink this every day, and dream about it when I am asleep.

Hope everyone had as succulent a weekend as we did, and hope 24 Hour Fitness is ready for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment