Monday, July 27, 2009

cooking ideas: loco moco


Tonight I attempted a dish I've long loved: Loco Moco!

It's a Hawaiian dish (apparently), but I've only ever eaten it in Japan. I googled a recipe, but then went with my gut instinct, skipping the gravy, since I'm not a huge fan.

My LM consisted of a layer of rice, sprinkled with pieces of scallions and avocado, then layered with a hamburger and topped with a sunny-side up egg. I fluffed the outsides with tufts of salad leaves, and then swirled some mayonnaise (Kewpie, of course) and ketchup on top.

I tend to mash it all together when I eat it making an unattractive but extraordinarily tasty (and colorful!) mush that goes down like any yummy comfort food. D., a first time LM eater, approached the dish in what he described as a "more gentlemanly" way, but seemed to enjoy it just as much, so I guess there is something to be said for refinement.

I served pumpkin salad on the side, which is made by mashing potato and kabocha, adding onions, scallions, salt, pepper, soy sauce and a good amount of my dear friend Mr. Kewpie. This stuff is so yummy it makes my brain hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment