Monday, July 27, 2009

cooking ideas: fish tacos



I've been using my days of unemployment to try and learn new things, reading books I've been intrigued by but haven't gotten around to picking up, watching countless Hayao Miyazaki films, taking long strolls, teaching myself HTML code... and, most awesome of all, doing more cooking.

I've always enjoyed cooking, but have, in recent days, been testing new recipes and flavor combinations, with quite pleasant results. Marinating beef in pineapple juice and soy sauce? It works. Substituting miso broth for chicken stock in risotto? Yum!

My favorite recent meal has been salmon soft tacos with homemade salsa. I'm not a stickler for following recipes, but here is my attempt to note the things that I randomly mixed together.

Salsa:
two tomatoes
an onion
the juice of two limes
garlic to taste (a lot, in my case)
scallions
cilantro to taste (again, a lot)
little Thai peppers cut up very small (not small enough sometimes, oops)
Tabasco to taste (some like it hot!)

Mix it all in a bowl and let this chill. Eat it after a couple of hours and wonder why you've not been doing so every day for your entire life.

Tacos:
Salmon
Cheddar cheese
Flour tortillas, soft taco size
Scallions
Avocado (yesss!)
Non-fat sour cream

Get some salmon, put a little salt and pepper on it, and grill it with the lid on. (I am not an expert at this and mine was too raw.) Put a couple of tortillas in your toaster oven until warm. Layer salmon wedges with avocado wedges and sprinkle with cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Add as much salsa as you can fit on top of all that without bursting it.

This is such a simple, healthy meal with so many lovely colors and flavors. You feel like you are being decadent without actually being too bad, which is a bonus.

This salsa is so fabulously delicious that I'm making it again tonight, only four days later. (And not only because I still have all the ingredients remaining and need to use them up!)

My next challenge will be homemade bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment